Monday 9 September 2013

Settling in

So, on to more mundane things.

My jetlag has left me by now, but it's been replaced by a massive cold. Let's hope that's gone before I have to audition for any choirs...

I've been settling in quite well. Got myself a phone, a new gym, a favorite supermarket, an almost seamless accent, stuff like that (, eh). I've moved into my shared apartment, at a corner of Maple Street. Really, if you are to move to Canada, then you should be living on a street called Maple, I'd say.

Went to IKEA the day before yesterday, with my Dutch friend Annika, to buy a bed and all other sorts of stuff that one ends up buying at IKEA. Thank the universe for IKEA. Most North American furniture stores sell heavy, dark, and expensive (not to say plain ugly) things. At least at IKEA, I could walk straight up to the PoƤng and move on.
IKEA workers have been striking here since May already, and the schoolyear is starting soon, so the place looked like a giant storm had gone through it taking everyting cheap with it. I was actually lucky to find a half decent mattress, but not much else.

The weather has been holding up well, it's supposed to be very nice this week as well. My classes don't start till the 23rd, so I still have some time to enjoy it.

No comments: