Sunday 2 November 2008

Getting comfortable, singing

Odd....You'd think that when you don't feel well and are mostly hanging out at home, you would find the inspiration to blog in boredom...but no! (Don't worry, I just have the flu, I expect it to go away soon (You hear me? Go away!))
I seem to be getting better at doing nothing here :) And I have to say that I quite like it.

Before I left Holland I prepared a huge pile of files to help me get through any possible moments of boredom or illness or general 'the weather sucks so I'll stay inside'-days.
My newborn laptop (which is my pride and joy) was stocked full of movies, series and ALL of my music. Those of you who know me and my obsession of music....you'll know how long it took me to get all of my music on this tiny computer. (Taking and extra suitcase for my cds just seemed a bit silly...). Ofcourse I use my music every day. Means of communication with home and new found friends like msn, facebook and skype are also used daily. Still....most of the 'possible boredom-pile' remains untouched. Fortunately ofcourse :) this means that I'm having a good time and I have enough to do to keep me from being bored.

Like my choirs! I am so happy I found two groups of people to share my music obsessions with :) Although one choir is annoying because of a weird director and wailing old ladies and the other's still a bit scary because the level is very high and I'm not used to singing in such a small 'girls only' group (I miss basses....) I am still extremely happy with having al least that one night of hard-core singing in my week. I know I would have started to show some odd detox symptoms by now if I hadn't.

Concerts are already starting to appear on the horizon, on the 30th of November and the 7th of December. The first one will be the Choral Society one, Bach's Weinachts Oratorium. The one on the seventh is the Madrigirls Advent service/concert. That last concert is at the Uni's Memorial Chapel. We have our rehearsals there too, and the chapel is broadcasted 24/7 on the internet! http://mcu.gla.ac.uk/chapel-live.html So if you're interested, you can listen to our rehearsals on Thursdays from half past 7 'till 9 (British time).

I do really miss my Dutch choir though...I miss Gilles as a director and I miss my friends and I miss getting lost in the music on monday evenings. I'm not really 'getting lost' yet. I am still getting used to the different sound of the choirs and the different directors. Hm, it's exciting, I'll get used to it sooner or later.

Bach's Weinachts Oratorium is pretty self explanatory. For the Madrigirls concert we're doing some very interesting pieces. We're singing in English, Latin, Finnish and Norwegian :) Great fun. We;ve got a couple of contemporary pieces, a couple of very old ones and some compositions done by our director (who is great by the way, she's really nice and has a beautiful voice).

That is one of the things that are important to me it seems, the voice of the director! Maybe that's weird...but I realised that when I came here. If I don't like the director's voice I immediately get annoyed. Luckily, in retrospect, I liked Gilles' voice. Otherwise I'd have been in agony for four years, haha.

No comments: