Tuesday 23 September 2008

International Orientation and Freshers' week



The return of my cold proves that the last two weeks have been great fun and greatly exhausting. I'll give you a short impression.




First of all the International Student Orientation Programme was crammed full of useful (and less useful) information on the Universities different services and talks from the student unions, societies and Strathclyde police. Next to these semi-serious lectures there was enough time to meet students from all over the world. I've met some very nice people from Germany, America, China, Finland, Germany, Japan, Norway, Singapore, Holland (surprise!) and Germany.
The amount of German international students is just enormous...thank god most of them are nice :).


On Saturday the International Society took us out on a day trip. We saw some great, genuine Highland landscapes and all felt sick on the bumpy coach ride. Unfortunately my camera ran out of batteries....so I need to get my pictures from someonelse still.


Last week was Freshers' week, the introductory week for the Universities first years. As an International Postgrad Fresher :) we were allowed to buy a pass to gain entrance to all of the evening activities in the student Unions.

The week passed at high speed. Comedy nights, headphone discos, pirate parties, we saw everyting. And enjoyed it! Hence the cold.
At one of the Freshers' Fairs I found three choirs that I could join. I have an audition for one of them tomorrow....I'm already nervous, they are supposed to be really good. We'll see.


So last week was the ideal week for meeting drunk scottish freshers, who were omnipresent and nice to talk to. (Just up to the moment when the bus that goes to all the halls has to stop to let one out to puke....classy) No sober Scottish friends have been made though...(except for Chris:)) hope to find some at a choir or in class.

We found our last missing flatmates. I now live with a chinese girl (Yuan), an english girl (Jenny), an american guy (Nick) and a bosnian guy (not a clue...).
They are all friendly, creative, funny, weird and heaps of fun in their own way :). I'm really happy with them.

This week is the first 'normal week'. I'm looking forward to it. I'll try to get some normality back into my days. I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

Froukje Henstra said...

LMa!

Klinkt goed allemaal! Auditie is een eitje voor jou joh, je bent vet goed!
(c;

hoop dat je snel nog meer nieuwe vriendjes en vriendinnetjes maakt om in je "normale" weken mee rond te hangen.

tot snel!

x frouk

Anonymous said...

Hey lieve Selma!

Net even al je blogs bijgelezen, klinkt echt goed joh! Vet leuk, mensen van over de hele wereld ontmoeten:) En die audities komen vast goed! De studie is ook nog leuk? Of staat feesten nu op nummer 1? ;)

Heel veel plezier nog en hou ons op de hoogte!

Liefs Clara