Saturday 6 June 2009

Paramaribo


Sorry guys, not much blogging these last two weeks.

I'm trying to get as much of my dissertation work done before Wilbert arrives, next Saturday (YAY!).


And actually, dissertation wise, it's going quite smoothly! I'm spending most my time meeting new people and getting more phonenumbers from them to contact even more people. All of these people that I meet give me books, articles, pamphlets and other sources of information for me to read through and understand this society a little better. I'm starting to feel like I'm already 'getting' some of the aspects of this multi-ethnic and multi-religious community and I find myself reading, talking and thinking about it all the time. Fortunately I still think it's very interesting :)


Yesterday and today were the first two days in which I actually tried to put some concrete words in my computer. Yesterday I made a draft contents page, just to try and sort my thoughts out a bit and make an outline of the eventual report. Today I'm trying to do some actual writing and put some of my findings to paper (computer). My little flowered notebook is my treasure right now, everything I think of, speak or read about goes in there. Every person I speak with has his/her own page and at least a couple of key words about that person and what he/she told me or that I still have to ask them.


The Bisshop of Paramaribo has been my greatest help until now. He's such a nice man and he really tries to help me wherever he can. Thanks to him I'll be speaking with the head Pandit of one of the two Hindu denominations here (Arya Dewaker) about his involvement in interfaith issues next week.


I've already seen and done too much here to tell you all about it now, especially since the Dutch national team is playing Iceland soon and I still have to make my way to a bar in this tropical rainstorm that's been going on for about 2 hours now...

For now I'll give you a link to my Facebook album with some of my pictures made in the last two weeks.


Enjoy :)


http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=84367&id=565292619&l=8e80f3d561

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You most likely already have a solution for this but please remember to back up your data. If anything happens to your laptop or the hard drive it would be a real shame.
Other than that, keep up the good work :)